What is an ESTA?
A: ESTA stands for Electronic System for Travel Autorization. It is not a visa, but an electronic system that determines whether a citizen from a VWP (Visa Waiver Program) country is allowed to enter the US. See [Overview] for the list of VWP countries.

Who is required to apply for an ESTA?
A: All citizens coming from Visa Waiver Program countries who plan to travel to the US for short business or tourism need to apply for an ESTA before boarding anaircraft or vessel to the country.

Do I need to apply for an ESTA if I’m planning to enter the US by land?
A: No. If you are entering the US by land you don’t need to apply for an ESTA. Please note that Visa Waiver Program citizens do not need an ESTA if they travel on the ferries between Vancouver and Victoria, British Columbia, and Washington State.

What is the validity of my ESTA?
A: The validity of the ESTA authorization is two years after it’, or until your passport expires, if your passport is valid for less than two years. You are allowed to enter multiple times to the country during the validity period, with a maximum stay of 3 months.

When is it recommended to apply for an ESTA?
A: You should apply for your ESTA at least three days before your departure. However, it is recommended to do it as soon as possible in case there might be any problems with the approval of your ESTA.

Can I correct a mistake on my passport information when my ESTA has been approved?
A: No. The only way to correct any mistakes is reapplying for a new ESTA.

Is my ESTA still valid if I changed my name after I got married?
A: If you have received approval to enter the US, but afterwards you change your name due to any legal proceeding, your ESTA is no longer valid and you need to reapply for a new ESTA authorization.

Is it mandatory to provide your travel arrangements and destination information when applying to the ESTA?
A: No. This information is optional and you can leave it blank. Please remember you can enter or update this information in your ESTA any time before your departure date.

What happens if my ESTA expires while I’m in the US?
A: An ESTA is only required to be valid on the day you arrive in the United States. It does not need to be valid during the time a traveler is in the US, and therefore, it will not affect the length of time you are allowed to stay in the country.

Do I need to present a printed copy of my ESTA application in the border crossings?
A: The ESTA is an electronic authorization that is linked automatically to your passport number. You don’t need to bring a printed copy with you. However, it is recommended that you print a copy for your records.