Sri Lanka e-Tourist Visa

Short-term visitors must obtain a Visa to Sri Lanka too known as Electronic Travel Authority (ETA) prior to their entry to Sri Lanka.  Only citizens from the Republic of Singapore, the Republic of Maldives, and the Republic of Seychelles are exempt from obtaining an Sri Lanka e-Tourist Visa for visiting the country, on the basis of reciprocity.

The government of Sri Lanka differentiates among three types of Sri Lanka eVisas depending on the purpose of the visit:

  • Tourism (including medical treatments)
  • Transit (people staying in the country up to 48 hours)
  • Business (conferences, business meetings, etc.)

Luckily the tourism and transit Sri Lankan eVisas can be obtained online. If you want to apply for your tourist or transit ETA you can do it through

  • Tourist, transit and business visas can also be obtained before you travel to Sri Lankan. We recommend that you apply through iVisa in order to avoid delays and prevent unexpected problems such as being denied entry to the country.
  • ETA visas generally last 3 months and are valid for up to 30 days, which means travelers are allowed to stay in the country for no more than 30 days in each visit.
    However, Sri Lanka overseas Missions are authorized to issue short visit visas, valid for up to three months, as well.
  • Tourist visas can be issued for a single or double visit, while business visas can be issued for single, double, or multiple entry.

Once you get your ETA approval, it is advisable that you bring a copy with you to the border crossings in Sri Lanka, where an official will post a stamp inside your passport.
You will also need to meet the following requirements: your passport must be valid for at least 6 months from the date of arrival to the country, you must show a return ticket (only if you are traveling by air), and prove that you have sufficient funds for your stay in the country.

IMPORTANT: The US State Department strongly encourages American citizens planning international travel to register with the US Embassy(s) in the countries they plan to visit. You can do that by visiting